Thursday 23 October 2014

Return of the King


The last part of my favourite trilogy, and also my favourite part of the trilogy.
Reading this book with my blog in mind, I tried to find a suitable subject to write about- and I just can’t find anything that sticks out. I feel like I need to talk about the battle of the Pelennor fields because I cry every time I read that damn chapter. And I want to talk about Sam and what kind of character he is because he’s so human, and I want to talk about the scouring of the Shire, and about Frodo’s burden, and about the Valar, because even they are in this story in small ways…

I could write about the relationship between Frodo and Sam; how Tolkien put his war experience in their story, how they have a commander-soldier relationship where one can’t go on without the other. But that’s been done a hundred times. I could write about why Frodo had to leave Middle-earth and write a whole article on his psychology, but I need at least two years at uni to fully explain it with the right words if I want to do it well.
Then I started writing about the effects of the events of the mission to destroy the ring on the four hobbits. But I just ended up with a really long description of events, and that couldn’t possibly be interesting to read, right?
… And just today I tried writing about why people on the internet are wrong when they say Tolkien was a fascist, a nazi, or a gender discriminator.

Truth is, I really can’t describe Return of the King. It’s just beyond my level of writing right now. And I might be having a cold and having a head that’s so stuffed that I feel like someone shoved a turkey baster up my nose whilst I was sleeping really isn’t helping with the writing. And I did try. I have five pages of useless drafts.

See it as a credit to this book. It is literally indescribably good. It’s the reason why I read the entire series every year- to end up snivelling and crying on the last page. (Sam’s last words. They are the best words ever written. And so normal. God damn it I feel like crying just thinking about it.)




See it as a promise. If I do find a suitable subject related to Return of the King I will post it on this blog. But honestly, I’ve been trying for two weeks and nothing feels right.


Until next time,

Bejoes

No comments:

Post a Comment