Monday 6 January 2014

Of Mice and Men


Even though I was still reading The Crimson Petal and The White (I imagine that somehow, I will still be reading it a month from now) I squeezed in a tiny book for my first official week of 2014.

Of Mice and Men is a book by John Steinbeck, and it counts 113 pages. I wasn't lying when I told you it's tiny! I finished it in half a day, and it would have been less if my dad hadn't taken me to see a movie (not that I blame him, it was a good movie. It was Gravity, since I hear you asking.)

This book took me right back to my days of unemployment and where I only had to go to class one day a week. My mother was on a temporary break as well, and we made a habit out of watching the old movies that were shown on TV in the early afternoon. Most of these movies were with the oh so charming Cary Grant, but there were also several western movies.
Coming back to the point, this book is exactly like a western movie. It's about two migrant American workers, and they are much like Laurel and Hardey (Or whatever their names were) - one smart and small, one big and stupid. Life is tough for them, and the only thing that keeps them going is the dream of having a bit of land for themselves.

But don't be mistaken. Even if you aren't a big fan of old movies, the plot is still so good that it'll change your mind. You won't see it coming.




(I know it's a short review, but it really is a short story. Can't help it!)

Until next time,

Bejoes

No comments:

Post a Comment